Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Saturday, August 14, 2004

Smoke gets in your eyes, and throat, and ...

You can probably guess what this entry is going to be all about. Two words for firebugs: "Hired Goons". So how to put the last couple of days into words, well, I had an idea that if I want this to be anything more than a diary I needed to give a few opinions from time to time. I'll aim for an editorial each week on some philosophical or profound issue, but no promises there.

Yesterday morning the smoke cleared, so I managed to get a quick 40km ride in before work. Surprisingly cool temperatures once I got away from the coast, but that doesn't really bother me greatly. On the contrary, I prefer the cooler conditions anyway. With the commute to work (and home again afterward) I ended up with 66km for the day, so that's something after all the fire disruptions earlier in the week.

At work right now things are getting a little frustrating. I'm dealing with a client that decided to send in three different sets of records from the period I'm doing accounts for (and that's a year overdue anyway). All of them provide contrary figures in some way or another (they changed bookkeepers a few times), so it's all a bit of a mess.

So this morning (Saturday) I get out on the bike again, the beautiful ride through Austinville. The fires in that area left it untouched -- no photos yet because my camera isn't working. Still, the rainforest is always a pleasant deviation -- although my arms were itching a little today, could be a spring allergy. Only seems to be in the rainforest patches. Still no magpies as yet.

On the way home there was a little detour, Monaro Road. Not a massive climb (only gains about 310 metres), but mind-buggeringly steep. Probably averages 15% gradient when false flats are removed, with one section in the 25-30% range. I admit that I kinda enjoy those really steep sections and grim struggles, that feeling that "either me or this climb is going to crack soon, this is too intense to last long on either front". Of course, it helps when it's the climb that cracks, leaving me a short flat ride across the top with sweeping views for miles on end.

Then later in the day the fires started. The first was out at Gilston, I could see it from the coast when I was walking back from a shopping trip, followed by a massive fire near Nerang. Probably 15km from here, but enough smoke to completely block out the sun for most of the afternoon. This is bad news on two fronts. Firstly, breathing all this crap can't be good for one's health (not to mention those whose homes are threatened directly by the fires).

Of course, myself and Martin, a riding buddy of mine, had planned an epic for tomorrow morning, but all this smoke could put it into doubt. Most of the ride could be protected, given the expected wind directions and the terrain between our destination and the fires themselves. We're taking a "wait and see" view on this one, we could stay at home or go depending on how the smoke is on the 'coast. And we still have options to vary the ride should we need to. I'm hoping we get to do the full circuit however. I'm aiming for an imperial century in every calendar month of the year, and this is my chance to "score" in August. Bring on the Tweed Valley!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home