Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Dream Job

There was an entry on The Journey recently referring to dream jobs. It got me thinking a little. One question asked was "are you 'working for the man'?" It got me thinking a little about my current situation (something I've thought about a bit recently in anycase). As it stands, I'm very much "working for the man", but I think that may be a blessing as much as a curse.

I've considered other jobs -- someone over at the bicycling.com long distance forum once suggested I should try writing professionally. Well, I do enjoy writing ride reports and other things in this blog when I have the time, but to do it professionally? A number of issues come to mind here. Firstly, does it have enough interest to generate an income? Perhaps not if the counter stats (when it was actually working) were any indication. Then there is the monotony of it. As things currently stand, I can choose whether or not to write on any particular day, if I don't feel like writing, I just don't. I'd hate to have to do it day after day, I suspect some of the inspiration would disappear.

There are also times I've thought about being a cycle-tour guide. Indeed, one of my principle reasons for setting up this page initially was the opportunity to share some of the wonderful places I ride with the world, what could be better than doing that for a living, right? On the other hand, I also think of some of the other things that would go along with such a job, dealing with clashing personalities in the group, with people who turned up totally unprepared and want to blame the "ride leader" for it, trying to cater for different ability levels. I actually experienced some of these things on a smaller scale when organising some rides for Bicycle Gold Coast, and while it was bearable on that scale, to do it day after day, relying on it for a living could cause me to lose my enthusiasm very quickly.

Sometimes I think it's better for a job to just be a job, and leave the leisure activities to be just that. Enjoy them when time permits, and don't over complicate things. After all, beyond simply "making a living", it's the means to enjoy these activities which motivates us to work in the first place.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

With all the wonderful places you get to cycle I can understand not wanting to take on any kind of job that would threaten your ability to get out and ride.

I'm constantly blown away by the pictures you post of the places you see on your rides.

10:40 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Working for "the Man" (or woman) ain't a bad thing. I was actively pursued by a few companies this spring and had to contemplate leaving my job as a professor (where I'm on contract) to go back to the "Real World" and doing 50-80 hours a week. The question was: did I really want to do that?

In the end I decided (and gave off vibes to this effect) that staying as a professor (even if it's contract) is better for me in the long run. I can bike at almost any time I want. Additionally, with the study breaks I can use those for nice short tours. And if I do end up with permanent, full-time status it means two months off (at minimum) in the summer (hard to argue with that benefit).

BTW, being a professional writer doesn't mean quitting your day job. I write an article or two a month and get a few bucks out of it ($250USD per article). It's not enough to make a living out of but it is enough to pay down some bills, set aside some rainy day cash or use for a tour later on.

And it can be a nice add-on to the daily grind of whatever it is you do on the side.

BTW, Chris, do you guys get snow in your "winter" months? (I only ask the stupid question since I've never been and I personally dread our winter months since snow and salt mean spinning a lot inside than outside) :(

11:34 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

You know Ms Mittens, when I was going to university we had some interesting theories about those "study breaks", and from the sounds of it, you've just confirmed one or two of them.

Seriously though, the idea of writing professionally is an interesting one. I might give it some more thought after the CPA exam when I'll have a little more free time.

As far as snow goes, the only place around here that's ever recorded snow is Springbrook (the big mountain in the area). "Recent" snow falls there were in 1965, 1984 and 2000. Stanthorpe a little further inland might get the odd snowfall, but apart from that, it hasn't snowed in Queensland since the last ice age (and probably not even then).

In fact, I'm one of the few people in the world who has seem more summer snow than winter snow -- thanks to my trips to Tasmania and the Victorian Alps. What a crazy country I live in!

8:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home