Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Friday, August 19, 2005

Magpie season



WARNING: This creature may look benign, but a vicious killer lurks within!

Alright, that's probably an exaggeration, but this bird does take on slightly aggressive behaviour during this time of year (i.e. spring) in Australia, during the mating season, and anyone who gets too close to a nest is a target. The general idea is to swoop from the air and use their beak as a weapon to inflict damage on the head of their prey. Cyclists seem to be a particular target, but at least we have the option of wearing a helmet to ward off attacks (although some suggest that this actually attracts magpies).

Of course, if I just continue riding and not allow myself to be distracted by the feeling of being hit in the head by a tennis ball, most magpies bounce off harmlessly. I do, however, take note of where the really aggressive ones happen to be, just in case they start going for the ears, or launch a head-on attack (I've only actually seen one do this). Hence, for this weekend, I note that there may be one near Uki in the Tweed Valley, and possibly at Tumbulgum (although I can avoid that via Urliup).

The problem is, due to bushfires, I may have no choice but to ride around the Tweed Valley -- very probably passing through Uki.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the little buggers swooped me this morning when I was cycling, I lost my balance and hit the road hard. I've since found out it's illegal to kill them, much to my disapointment.

1:14 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

When a magpie swoops, your best bet is to keep your eye on the road and try not to let them distract you. Most of the time they'll just clatter into your helmet harmlessly. Even if they go for your ear, it's still going to hurt a lot less than hitting the ground.

It might be illegal to kill them, but as far as I'm aware, there's no law against squirting them with water. :)

1:46 pm  
Blogger Bunnyboo said...

The problem for me is that theres 2ways of getting to school and both have a nest!!! >:l But there is one other way (luckily) It's the same way but instead of going to the third street I go throught the second... then down the main road and into school... Yes confusing as you dont know my roads :) mum and dad suggested putting glasses in the middle of my helmet cuz they attack you from behind, or eyes. :S
(I know im spamming) But I was being swooped and I was riding past the oval in the morning and kids usually hang out there and they were laughing at me EMBARRASING :l I had sunnies on so they didnt know who I was LOL :D
(Sorry for spam :)

11:37 pm  
Blogger Bunnyboo said...

I've read a few sites and all, and they say for the rider to dismout their bike and walk. Wont that just make it easier for them to swoop u more? Or do they like leave u alone? By the way Can u send the answers to
bunnyboo239@hotmail.com please because I don't cheak this site... Lol :)

11:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Gladstone QLD and I've ran into a poll on my bike whilst trying to slap one away from my almost perfect face. I swear I heard the little prick laugh as he flew away and left me for dead on the side the highway... Man, its that bad i had a nightmare about them last night as one literally grabbed onto my hand and tried to pull me off my bike. Now I would never kill one, but I occasionaly ride around with a stick and wave it above my head like an old man with alsimers would twirl his walking stick given he thought the sun was to hot. Now, if i where to 'accidently' hit one of these australian devil spawns, I'm farely confident I could say it was self deffence, you know, like a life or death situation. Are there any laws about chopping down its F-ing tree? Might give these black and white bats something to really cry about. I only ride to work and back due to loosing my liscence for 3 months so it's bad enough I have to put up with the ridiculing of that alone without one of my friends seeing me with friggen zippy ties attached to my helmet - no thanks, not for me. Nor am I going to dismount and walk. so the only alternative is to just throw some headphones in your ears, ride like a mad man and think of happy thoughts while your helmet is being raped by a razor sharp beak. And speaking of BEAKS, I've seen those little buggers using the telephone wires as god dam sharpening tools! Make no mistake, these guys are out to do some serious damage - Just please someone tell me when it's going to be over.....

12:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where I live the magpies seem to be alot more aggressive this year. My family and I love to go on bike rides but this year that has become almost immpossible. There is a set of Magpies in our street that are so aggressive that they will wait for you outside your house and attack you from the minute you set off! My home is a high set house and they have started to come underneath the house to continue with their attacks. We have tried all the methods that people say to do like put sunglasses or eyes on the back of your helmet and zippy ties and even to just ignore them and to continue riding like nothing is wrong, but it is very hard when they come at you from every angle and DO NOT STOP! So now in order to take my son on rides I have to take a unbrella with me and even with that they continue to have ago. I am getting to the point where am ready to take action against them!

1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home