Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Glad that one's over.

The one saving grace:



I hate days like this. Seems everything I tried to do today just didn't want to work. The truth is, it all started so promisingly, a 5am start to take the bike up to Springbrook today. Still a bit of moisture around from yesterday's delightful rain, had an interesting conversation with another rider on the earlier parts of the climb, before ascending beyond, over the 1,000 metres climbed barrier up to Best of All Lookout. I didn't linger at the view, however, as the arrival of a tourist minibus took away my the ambience of the experience.

It was on the descent that the problems started. I seem to be having a recent run of flat tyres (ironically, I was just about to purchase a new rear tyre, would have done so yesterday had I got the time). A flat isn't normally a major drama, put the spare tube in, pump it up and off I go, 15 minutes max. This time, however, the spare had developed a hole from somewhere, the glue in my repair kit had dried out, and the pump decided not to work at all. Seems some of the bearings in the back wheel are screwed from the review I did this evening.

For a while I pondered my options, well, there weren't too many. I just had to walk. Of course, 40km from home up in the mountains, this isn't such an engaging proposition. The good news was that I had 963 metres of height to lose to get back to the coast. The other good news is that the scenery of Springbrook makes such a task reasonably bearable. After about 7km of walking (and about 300 metres lost), I found a phone and called a relative.

They were cool about it, but it was the embarrassment of being stranded that gets me. This hasn't happened for something like 100,000km or so. It's just so frustrating sometimes. Even if waiting here made it a little more bearable:



The weekend wasn't all bad though. As mentioned last week, I bought that CD from Art of Fighting. Now that is worth listening to more than once. It's one of those CD's that everyone should have a copy of -- for their own good. I know it maintained my sanity when the loose rear-wheel bearings on the bike were annoying me this evening. In fact, it's what I'm listening to right now as I get ready for bed. Bring on tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Blogger casey said...

Well- another day, another ride. All the glory and wonder of our rides would be lost in the monotony of faultlessness if there weren't days like this... But I know you already realize this-

Tomorrow as you're riding past your own mesmerizing paradise, the beauty of the day and of the ride will equal out all the trials of today. What a beautiful, powerful essense the bicycle posesses.

Ride on, and thanks for sharing the rides with us!

10:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home