Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Repentence...

There comes a time, every so often, where Martin and I have informal bets about who can ride the furthest in a 24-hour period. There also comes a time when I need to escape to a completely different world for a while. This ride does this. It all began with a nice jaunt through the John Hogan Rainforest. I really love coming down here, especially as it always seems to be a little cooler than the coast.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Of course, next came even more climbing. I was, however, surprised to see a warning sign of a 20% gradient on one of the descents, I know from having climbed it that it's simply not the case. The scenery down here is of a consistently high level, rolling and green. The other noteworthy thing was finding 666 metres of climbing after cresting the Burringbar Range south of Murwillumbah.

After this I decided on a short detour to Ocean Shores. This was actually quite pleasant, even if it was a little further than I expected to get to the ocean. There is actually quite a pleasant view at the top of a steep climb on the way out of town. I expect this view will be built out before much longer, so perhaps this picture should be framed for now.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Of course, it wasn't long before the real reason for the ride, onto the Coolamon Road, through Mullumbimby, then entering the different world past the Crystal Castle, through Repentence Creek, Dunoon and The Channon. This area, with it's stunning forests and sweeping views is just magnificent. Of course, the climbing was accumulating, but I didn't really care at this point. It's worth it in this sort of scenery.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

What did bother me a little was the heat, 36 degrees C in The Channon, 38 Degrees C in Nimbin (after yet another climb). Nimbin is often described as "nearly normal". It has quite a history with the hippie culture, as can be seen in the town's centre.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It has, however, been taken over by drug-dealers to a large extent these days, so much so that many of the hippies have moved out of the town into the surrounding hills. As a consequence, I pass straight through, bound for Stony Chute, and perhaps the roughest and most corrugated dirt road in Australia. At this point my speed ranged from 8km/h climbing to 11km/h descending. Not what I'd call fun. Still, the view at the top of the pass was quite rewarding.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I was taking in a lot of fluids now, I got some more at Wadeville before crossing the range into a steaming hot and gusting north-easterly wind. The descent into the Tweed Valley followed, more views of The Sphinx and Mt Burrell here, and finally some cooler temperatures.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Another food stop at Uki (I'd had one at Dunoon), and then the trek across to Stokers Siding to take the long way back to Murwillumbah. After handling the climb here better than I had expected, I decided to press on and attempt a double-century (322km/200 miles). The wind in the canefields of Murwillumbah blew like crazy, but I handled that, and the climb to Urliup comfortably enough, and with a muesli bar still in my pocket. Urliup was beautiful as usual, but now light was fading, largely as a consequence of the sun disappearing in the west.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No problem, I'd reach for my E6 headlight and navigate it. Problem: no light came on! I still had a back-up, but that would be useless out here. I sped through was was left of Urliup (a little faster that I perhaps would have liked), then slaughtered the climb of Bilambil. Now I was back in suburbia. Back among the morons, projectiles were thrown from several cars, and one idiot who just threw his ute (good job I still had the reflexes of a cat after 277km). There was also a decent headwind, but that was negotiated eventually. Interesting to note I did all the hilly parts with a tailwind, and all the flat parts with a headwind. I'm sure it would have been easier the other way around.

In the end it was 291km and 3,403 metres of climbing for the day. That's a lot, but such is life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home