Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Garden of Eden

Walk through Eden's Garden and then
Wonder as you go....
-- Midnight Oil.

I awoke this morning to the sound of rain and buffeting wind. I decided to ride anyway, and just wear a spray jacket for some reason. The strength of the wind at dawn (when it's normally at it's weakest) surprised me, but this is where it becomes liberating. When the wind is so strong that attaining a decent average speed is just about impossible, one tends not to focus on such things, and instead concentrates on just enjoying the ride. It was in the vicinity of 50-60km/h on that early stretch down the coast, so I just accepted what it was doing to my speed, and enjoyed the scenery.



With the showers still falling lightly, it was over Bilambil and onto Urliup road, in the mud! This actually wasn't so bad, again, once covered in the mud to the point of no longer caring about it. The scenery was already warming up.



Winding through the rainforest on the dirt, almost totally encased in mud, over the "summit", down into the Tweed Valley briefly, before the climb of Tomewin, where I would follow "the track" along the NSW/Qld border. This promised to be interesting, with the rocky sections wet, and probably slippery. First, however, there was the small matter of a detour that I hadn't taken in three years, Garden of Eden road, a western detour along the southern side of the ridge. This was one of those "why did I wait so long?" rides. The scenery here is stunning. It's a short detour, and a dead end, meaning a return on the same route, but it's definitely worth it.









After the return, and more covering in mud, it was over to Glengarrie "road", the track I'd come here to follow. It really is an entrancing ride, through the dense forest, the occasional mountain views, the old shacks on the mountain that have been here for years and somehow survived the wild weather these parts get occasionally. Today I'm focused on the wildflowers that are blooming up right now, and the shapes being thrown around by the clouds.







The slippery rocks provide some interesting moments early, but I soon find my rhythm here. It's a matter of timing one's bursts, putting in a huge effort on the uphill slippery parts, then relaxing on the in between parts in order to recover for the next huge effort. The top is reached soon, and it's a muddy descent toward Bilambil punctuated by a couple of climbs and some really nastily positioned intersections, before the final screaming descent into Bilambil and back into suburbia. At least I'll have a tailwind for the ride home.

There is a final tale to tell here. After an extremely invigorating ride, I'm pedalling through suburbia pondering the task of somehow cleaning the mud and dirt off the bike, figuring that the occasional light rain that's falling is having no effect on this whatsoever. Then at Burleigh Heads, some 7km from home, the heavens open up and a huge downpour makes it's presence felt. Now most of the mud and dirt has been washed away, and the rain was just beautiful. A fitting end to a memorable morning!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, I think we need to teach you how to use thumbnails or how to place pictures so it all stays together. :D

7:39 am  
Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

I'm not sure what msmittens means. The pictures are all displaying just fine for me.

I must say Chris, that you not only visit some fascinating places on your bike, you also have a wonderful eye to be able to capture such amazing images.

10:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh my! Chris, your "wildflowers" are only found in greenhouses in my neck of the planet! Garden of Eden indeed. You one lucky man, my friend, one lucky man!

10:49 am  
Blogger Chris L said...

Wow! Three comments already, that must just about be a record for this blog! I think Ms Mittens might be referring to the fact that I tend to spread the pictures through the text rather than separate it all. I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. If I'm reading an account of a ride, I like to see the pictures as and when the occurred during the course of the ride. I guess some feel differently.

As far as the "subject matter" goes, we seem to be having quite a run of it at the moment, with a string of misty days -- unusual for this time of year. In the meantime, I'll just keep snapping it for posterity.

Rodney -- my own philosophy with regards any kind of photography is "Composition, composition, composition!". In other words, it's just a matter of taking a few seconds to decide what it is you want in a particular shot, and making sure you don't miss. It's surprising how many people don't do this.

1:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thumbnails are initially smaller pictures that you click on to see the larger ones. This means less downloading at the beginning. Actually, in the comments Rodney's picture is the size of what a thumbnail might look like. If you visit my blog you'll see what I'm referring to.

I don't mind the pictures spread through the text but it's tends to slow my browser down to the point where I can't do anything for a bit until all the pictures are downloaded (and this last batch seemed a particular issue since the picture underneath the first paragraph ended up under the left column).

8:18 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

Hmmm, interesting. I don't normally take quite that many pictures on a ride, that one was just special. Normally there might only be three or four in any given log.

However, the other comment is interesting, are you saying that the pictures ended up under the left side-bar when you viewed the page? I made a slight re-design of the template yesterday to move the music selections over to the right so I had more space for links. It could be attributable to that.

Has anyone else had this problem?

9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I'm on a slow dial up and they loaded pretty well. I was able to read the text while waiting. I'm glad you talked about riding in the rain as I've just arrived in Maine during one of the wettest May's in recent memory.

10:27 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

Hi will,

Glad you liked it. Riding in the rain here is probably a little different to Maine, in that rain in this part of the world is rarely cold.

I must say, your webpage looks quite interesting.

6:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home