Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Friday, July 14, 2006

Coming to our Census

Evidently, 2006 is the year of the population census in Australia. According to what I heard on Triple J this morning, a few officials are a little concerned because evidently young people (i.e. anyone under 30) are "under-counted", because apparently some of them don't bother to fill it out. Given that I fit that category (at least for another couple of months), I figured I might say a few words about it. I qualify further in that I've never actually filled out one of these forms in Australia (although I did do one in New Zealand once).

First of all, aren't these forms actually supposed to be sent to every household? I know that my address has somehow disappeared from the mailing list on the last two occasions (although I bet the could find me if I had a fine they wanted to collect), and I also know that I'm not the only one. I suppose that one could argue that I should make the effort to obtain one from somewhere, but what people don't understand is that many of us are simply far to busy to waste time on what is essentially a pointless survey.

That's right, it's pointless as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I've heard all the arguments about how it gives the government information on how and where they need to fund infrastructure and so on, and frankly, I think those arguments are an absolute crock! One only has to look at the third-world public infrastructure on the Gold Coast to see that. Public transport is non-existent, emergency response times are ridiculously long (more often measured in hours than minutes), and exceeded only by the waiting times for anyone sufficiently unfortunate to need to use the Gold Coast Hospital.

Surely the census should have told the politicians that the population of this area was growing at a ridiculous rate and they needed to make provisions, so why hasn't it happened? Probably because at both State and Federal level, the Gold Coast is a safe electoral seat for the Conservatives. Anyone who lives in a "safe seat" for either of the major parties will probably tell as similar story of a lack of funding and so on, while politicians of all persuasions fall over themselves to buy votes in the "marginal seats". This, ladies and gentlemen, is how funding is allocated. It has nothing to do with the needs of the population or anything else. The only time people in the "safe seats" get anything is if they start whining loudly enough to make a politician think they might vote for someone else next time around -- and that doesn't happen in the census.

So, given that all the important decisions are made on Election day as opposed to Census day, can someone tell me why we need a Census?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home