Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Commuter "challenge?

Over at bikejournal, people are always looking for new ways to "motivate" themselves and others to ride. The latest thing is a commuter century challenge. Evidently it involves trying to ride to work for a total of 100 days in 2006.

Perhaps it's just me, but to be honest I'm wondering what all the fuss is about. I don't intend to belittle anyone with this post, and I realise that for some people this really is a major achievement. It's just that riding to work is something that comes so naturally to me, that I really just don't give it a second thought. It could be argued that my current commute (a round trip of just 17km) is a relatively short one, and this fact alone removes much of the "challenge" element that would be there. However, this hasn't always been the case -- I still recall a daily commute of 47km back in 2002 -- I didn't miss a day of that either.

I just think it's interesting to compare the different mentalities of different lifestyles in this situation. For some, the prospect of riding a bicycle to work seems like a major challenge. For me, riding to work and dealing with whatever challenges traffic, weather or whatever throw at me is just second nature, and something I consider a far lesser hassle than stumping up the money to acquire and maintain a car. It's also much more convenient than sitting in gridlock for hours on end each day.

Perhaps I should just stay out of that particular forum discussion, lest I unintenionally offend someone.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone asked me a couple of months ago if I considered driving to work on a particularly wet and stormy day.

I had to admit that the thought had never entered my head. The way I get to work and back is on my bike, no matter what the conditions.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Woodog said...

I joined the 1000 miles for 4 month challenge and that did push me to a different level. If this challenge gets at least one other person to ditch the car, even for a little bit, it's a good thing. I'm with you and Rodney, though, I ride my bike.

I do have a car with a full tank of gasoline sitting in the driveway. Last I checked a wolf spider was making a good living near the front tire.

6:42 am  
Blogger Chris L said...

I remember the 1,000 mile/month challenge. Coincided with the first month in which I failed to make 1,000 miles for over three years. :( Seriously though, I just can't understand getting to work by any other means. That said, it might be different if this city actually had a public transport network.

For some reason your post conjured up images of a bunch of wolf spiders sniffing gasoline, getting high and creating havoc around town. :^)

9:26 pm  
Blogger kimbofo said...

If it gets people out of their cars and onto their bikes it can only be a good thing.

I generally only commute by bike three to four times a week, so I think it's a major achievement if I do the entire five days! :)

My challenge at the moment is trying to clock up 1,000 miles, which might not be much, but that's 1,000 miles of exercise I would not have otherwise done if I'd chosen to stick to travelling to work by public transport.

8:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home