Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Correct Weight?

Right now there is yet another discussion about the weight carried by touring cyclists in the touring section over at bikeforums.net. I seem to be among the minority as I have never actually made any attempt to weight my equipment before setting off on a tour. It would seem that most people will get out the bathroom scales and weigh just about everything, then go through their equipment and look to remove any little item that might save a kilo or two. To be honest, I've never really seen the point.

My own strategy on this issue is to decide on the basis of each item rather than the overall weight. Having now done a few tours, I have a fair idea of what I will or won't use during the tour (with further decisions being made after some research into my destination). Even before my first tour, I made sure of taking a short weekend tour in an area where I could get out of trouble easily if I needed to.

Once the utility value of each item is determined, that pretty much decides the weight of the equipment I'll be bringing. In short, if I don't need it, it stays home regardless of the weight issue, if I need it, I'll bring it. If that means I have to pay a few dollars in excess baggage charges on a flight (or fly with another airline), so be it. It's better than getting stuck in the Scottish rain with a leaking tent. There is a little room to move in terms of replacing equipment that might be deemed a little heavy -- but then there's an old saying to be ware of: "Cheap, lightweight, durable. Pick two".

I also think a lot of people make too much of a fuss over the weight of their bike or their equipment, and not enough over the weight of themselves. If we guess that the average person weighs around 75kg, it's clear that dropping 2-3kg of weight before the event is not going to be massively difficult to achieve if done properly. Personally, I'd rather do this than leave behind something I considered important just because I wanted to knock 2-3kg of my luggage weight. Admittedly, body weight doesn't come with airline baggage charges, but it still has to be hauled over mountains.

Another area I'm considering more important these days is the volume of what I'm carrying. This can actually determine the number of panniers one needs to bring along, which can, in turn, add to the weight -- not only the panniers themselves, but also the rack on which to mount them. Personally I've never really been a fan of front panniers, largely because of the requirement to remove them every time the bike is taken on a plane.

The current system I have doesn't require a great deal of dismantling when I box my bike at an airport, and the rear rack stays firmly in place. In short, keeping my equipment less bulky wherever possible pays off. Of course, weight and volume often go hand in hand, but not always. All things considered, it appears to me that getting out the scales (or buying some since I don't currently own any) seems a slightly redundant exercise. As I said before, if I don't need it, it's not coming anyway. I really should publish a packing list some day -- when I get around to it.

2 Comments:

Blogger IronGambit said...

You should publish a list and sell it :)

3:15 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

Well, everyone else has published such a list -- I'm not sure I'd get anything for it. It's worth a thought I suppose.

8:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home