Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Serenity of arrogance part 2

What emotion other than pure arrogance could allow a cyclist to be hit by two eggs thrown from a car and continue riding along with no reaction other than a mild fit of laughter? Well, perhaps there's a touch of cynicism (pragmatism?) in there too, I've been around here long enough not to expect much else.

Anyone who's cycled any number of kilometres in Queensland or specifically on the Gold Coast has probably experienced this at one time or another. A car passes the same as so many others do, but this time there's something different, something comes flying out the window. What's your reaction? Shock? Anger? Fear? Well, once you've experienced it a few times, those reactions become muted.

Sometimes there might be a mild irritation at not getting a licence number (although I could have done tonight if I'd really wanted to). However, one or two posts on the bike-qld list last week have finally convinced me that this would be a complete waste of time (I'll save the police the trouble of shredding the report because I'm benevolent), so the irritation is also muted.

What's there, is actually a form of amusement. Think about it, these cletii have hurled two eggs with all their might (well, there were more than two, but the others missed), and they still couldn't hurt a skinny little weakling like me! Nor could they ruin what had been a very beautiful ride, not to mention the eggs they wasted. It seems they didn't enjoy their night as much as I did, oh well. I guess someone has a "small one", something with which I sympathise not at all. Ha ha ha ha ha!


Still, it's only the second time I've had anything thrown at me this year, in a touch over 17,000km of riding. That's a pretty positive result by Gold Coast standards.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

I had a water balloon thrown at me last week as I was cycling home.

I was in a back street and the water balloon missed completely.

The interesting thing was that as I went past a side street I saw the car. I slowed down and watched them. They spotted me and they seemed to be slowing right down but not stopping. The only reason anyone would have been in those streets is if they were heading home. I think they had seen me at the end of their street and they didn't want to stop at their house because then I'd know where they live. Maybe I'd tell mummy and daddy what they'd been up to or do something nasty to their car late at night.

They tried to scare me for a bit of fun. Without even trying I'm convinced I had them even more scared.

I win.

1:10 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

You know, that story reminds me of one incident I had on a blazing hot July day (yes, we get those here) in 2003. I'm trying desperately to cool down on a ride, and a bunch of morons come along and squirt me with a water pistol, somehow thinking this was going to bother me!

Sometimes I think being that stupid is punishment enough in itself.

9:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Love Of BicyclesI have owned many different bicycles in my life. I decided in my early twenties that I could live just fine with just a few bicycles and without a car. I have different bicycles for different uses.I live in Houston and use the Houston streets for my transportation. I regularly use one of my light duty mountain bicycles for grocery shopping. The light duty mountain bicycles are not as tough as my mountain bicycles. Light duty mountain bikes are also referred to as trail bikes.I would never take a trail bike off-road. I have a really tough mountain bike with a full suspension system for taking camping. I try to get out and really ride on my mountain bicycle at least once per month. I usually know at least one person that is going cycling every weekend. It is easy to hitch a ride with them.Some of the most expensive bicycles are recumbent. I bought one for myself and I love it. It allows me to sit in a reclined position and pedal with my feet forward. My recumbent bicycle seat feels like a lounge chair. My model is one of the faster ones and I love it.I had a boyfriend once that was also interested in bicycles. We rode together everywhere and he talked me into buying a tandem bicycle. That was a huge mistake. We just could not work together on that bicycle and it amplified the problems in our relationship that were just below the surface. We broke up about two months after the purchase of that tandem bike.I was on one of my bicycles just getting some exercise last week and I rode past a retirement community and saw something amazing. I thought I was up on all of the available bicycles, but I had never seen an adult tricycle before. They were amazing. I stopped and chatted with one of the women riders and she told me that she hadnt been able to ride bicycles in about twenty years. She needed the stability that the adult tricycle had to offer and felt like she had new freedom.My nephew has recently become interested in bicycles. He wants a BMX bicycle for his birthday. He asked me for it because, as the most enthusiastic bicycle rider he knows, I am most likely to indulge his desire. I think that I am going to try to talk him into a free style bike instead. If I cant talk him into a free style bike, I may end up buying both bicycles for him. I want him to love cycling as much as I do.To learn more about everything bicycles vist my site at: BrensMartUSA Bicycles Have a geat day and stay healthy!Brenda Sue

8:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home