Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Pottering around



I spent most of the weekend just pottering around, covering a little under 200km on my bike (I did 458km last weekend). Saturday morning I took an early ride out to Austinville in some light rain. It had been a while since I did that ride in daylight, but it was pleasant nonetheless. After last weekend I still don't have a great deal of motivation to attempt any land speed records at present, so I just took my time and soaked up the scenery, and the experience of just being in such a place. I think this is where riding is at for me at the moment, it's basically a chance to get out of the city and live a bit of life for a while.





In the afternoon I restored an old computer game called Speedball 2. It's about the only computer game that I ever play anymore (I don't spend a lot of time on that pursuit). Just at the moment I figure it has to be more entertaining than wasting my time on internet message boards.

This morning I met up with a couple of other riders for a quick ride down the coast. It took until about Coolangatta to realise this really wasn't for me anymore. Touring and long distance riding seem to have changed my outlook in this area recently. Short fast rides of 40-80km don't appeal to me all that much anymore (it takes me 40km to warm up properly these days).

As it was, I peeled off at Coolangatta and headed for Urliup, en route to a return to the Garden of Eden at Tomewin, on the Macpherson Range.



The views up here today were very different from my last visit -- largely because it wasn't actually raining this time. The track was still wet in places, due to last night's rain, it made for slippery going at times, especially as I wasn't actually riding the MTB today. That was purely a function of having no plans to come up here today, but finding myself here nonetheless. Some of the views were spectacular.







It's always astonishing to find an area of such beauty so close to the coast, and to suburbia. In some ways it's proximity keeps me away, as I always seem to be looking for more kilometres most days. On the other hand, perhaps the fact that I seldom visit adds to it's appeal. The thing about Tomewin seems to be that I can visit as often as I like, and always find something different.

For all that, I didn't appreciate a flat tyre on the final descent into Bilambil. It did seem to be a day for flats, however. I saw two cars on the side of the road with flat tyres today, and a cyclist this morning with one in Burleigh. The flat tyre itself may have provided an unexpected blessing. I was able to patch the tube on the spot -- encouraged to in fact by the location at the time of the flat. Had it happened somewhere less scenic, I may well have just put the spare in without bothering to patch it, meaning that I probably would have forgotten/procrastinated to do it when I got home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home