Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Friday, February 09, 2007

Bad-tempered

Can someone please tell me exactly why we're taught that anger is somehow "bad"? This is a serious question that stems from some observations I made yesterday. Essentially I was having "one of those days" -- the ones where everything that can go wrong seems to do just that, and where things that don't normally bother me start to become irritating. It started with a road closure that interfered with my morning ride, and just seemed to snowball from there.

Later, as I was riding to work, and picking my way through the gridlock, I noticed that I was finding it all a little irritating. This is odd, as I normally enjoy passing millions of dollars worth of other people's debt, and I do it so often that it really shouldn't bother me, but for some reason it did. Then I noticed that as a direct result of my annoyance and impatience, I was suddenly doing it slightly more efficiently than normal.

This mood continued when I got to work, tasks I'd been putting off for one reason or another now became an annoyance that simply had to be eliminated, they were also dealt with efficiently. It was then that I realised that anger has it's advantages. If used properly, it becomes a very powerful tool, which can prevent other thoughts from obscuring our focus. Sure, it can be misused, but the same applies to virtually any other tool available to us at any given moment -- and most of those aren't a product of millions of years of evolution.

I believe that we feel anger for a reason, and that it can and should be used for a positive purpose, as a positive force. I have had so many people in life tell me that my temper is a bad thing, that anger is bad. These days I realise this is absolute rubbish. There are few natural things in the world that are inherently "bad", and anger is as natural as the air we breathe (probably more so). The key is learning how and when to utilise it, to control it, but never to suppress it. Admittedly, this is still a work in progress as far as my personality is concerned, but then, I have plenty of time to get it right.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not bad, it's necessary. Especially when you're on the road a lot. One just needs to be careful to use anger in a defensive way and not offensively.

I think cyclists would get hit a lot more often if they had no anger about them.

(yes ... I'm back)

~Chicamaravilla (mariposo ...)

2:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've done some constructive thinking about it. At present I agree with you... until I read more psych. ;-)

I've heard it said that anger isn't the problem, but rage. It can be a bit of a trick to work out what exactly is causing the anger, but it's a bit of an emotional gift because it gives you the energy to make changes for the better. In theory.

There's some fantastic Buddhist traditions of spiritual practises for analysing all the connections and transforming the energy. Brilliant stuff.

10:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home