Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Back to back centuries



With this you will have to be content, because I do not have time to write two separate ride reports from the weekend. Saturday morning I decided to head north, initially through the flat country around Jacob's Well, and then over Mt Tamborine. I might have managed a decent pace on this ride, had it not been for the sheer volume of roadwork I encountered early on. It seems GCCC haven't figured out that if you try to do everything at once while remaining understaffed, it just won't get done.





I negotiated those early problems, then followed the coast through the mangroves. This is a prettier area than I remember, possibly because I hadn't been here for three years. It's interesting to note the number of islands in Moreton Bay -- apparently there are 365 of them. I'm not sure if there's a way to ride the full length of the bay (which finishes north of Brisbane), but it's an interesting project for the future one day.





The next challenge (apart from finding somewhere that had water I could actually drink) was the climb of Mt Tamborine. I've long realised the key to this is to be methodical. The first 3km are by far the steepest, but there is a kick over the last kilometre that can nail anyone who burned up too much energy early. After that, it was just a matter of a screaming 75km/h descent (some of which was wet), the final 12% climb of Wongawallan, and the ride home.

For once I held a bit in reserve over Wongawallan, which goes against conventional "wisdom" that it must be attacked at all times. Today I had a reason. I was taking a slightly different route home to avoid the aforementioned roadwork, which made the finish considerably hillier. It got even worse when I realised I had to detour through Clagiraba in search of more kilometers. It did, however, let me ride through the suburbia at the end with a tailwind, so there's nothing to really complain about.



Sunday was an old, familiar century taking in Springbrook, Numinbah Valley, Tyalgum and a return through Urliup. It was notable for a couple of reasons, the first being the sudden belief I gained on the climb of Springbrook. After taking that apart the day after a century, I'm suddenly more confident going into the 600k, just what I needed. Numinbah Valley also gave me some food for thought, I could use this as the focus for a short weekend tour later in the year. I hadn't been down here this year so far, and forgot just how pretty it really is.



The detour out through Tyalgum seemed to be a game of figuring out what the wind was doing while I continued to accumulate climbing over the two big climbs after Chillingham. I also kept a close eye on my distance to ensure that I'd get the century I was after. Sure enough, I was forced into two detours around Murwillumbah.





It was at Urliup that the problems started. I noticed a slow leaking flat on the rear tyre (my 9th this year incidentally). I had planned to ride on with it for a while, then decided if I'd have to change it later anyway, Urliup is so much nicer than some non-descript bit of suburbia. The problem was that my pump gave up (despite successfully fixing a flat three days earlier). In the end I was able to get about 7 psi in the tyre, and had to be content with that. If I could limp back to Bilambil and get to a service station, I could still complete the ride.

My main concern was what I'd do if the service station was actually closed (a very real possibility around here on a Sunday). I'd then have to negotiate the big Bilambil climb on 7 psi in the rear -- a situation in which even the most basic rollers felt like granny-gear killers. I needn't have worried. I found a farm house and borrowed a pump to inflate the tyre enough to get over the climb, found a service station in West Tweed Heads, did the job properly, then got on with riding home.

A late gust of headwind tried to stop me, but after what I'd already dealt with, it all seemed a bit pointless. I took it apart in a cold and calculated fashion, and did what I had to do. All in all I didn't find the weekend's riding too bad, and with the 600 likely to be considerably less hilly than these rides were, I'm looking forward to nailing it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home