Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Glorious Mee 2008



Somehow I missed last year's event in the middle of a form slump, or did it coincide with that Sarah Blasko concert? Whatever the reason, I wasn't there in 2007. This year I needed a comeback ride after losing those teeth, and a day ride of 200km with over 3,000 metres of climbing was always going to be the real test.

Somewhere on Mt Nebo

It was fairly obvious early on that I wasn't going to pull off the usual attack on Mt Nebo/Mt Glorious that I have in past editions. That fact is, of course, totally irrelevant in this style of riding, but sometimes one likes to make a statement. As it was, after an early charge I settled into a steady rhythm to nail the first couple of climbs, and made the first checkpoint atop Mt Glorious well inside the time limit. I was glad the support for the ride remembered the muesli bars I'd forgotten, I pocketed three more and was on my way.

Somerset dam

The descent of the western side of Mt Glorious is always a scary experience, but I almost got caught out on another bend before the descent started -- a simple case of not paying attention. It was probably a useful wake up call, as I made sure I concentrated on the descent, then turned north into the wind to start the rolling hills toward Kilcoy. This stretch was where the ride would become difficult. First I was attacked by seven magpies, one after the other -- the tally would reach double figures by day's end. After this it started getting hot as the northerly wind picked up for what was about the only time during the day. The one positive to come from this stretch was the fact that for once, Somerset Dam actually had some water in it.



There had been warning signs about smoke hazards all the way along, but around 10km from Kilcoy, the first real smoke was visible. The wind kept this batch away from me, but it was a warning of things to come. More magpies came along, sometimes attacking two at a time. I usually squirt them with my water bottle if they get too close, but the volume of water I was drinking in the heat made me rethink that policy.



After lunch at Kilcoy, I headed east along the Neurum road toward Woodford. This section was a real energy-sapper, with the temperature now staying in the 30s Celsius, and enough rolling hills to make it challenging. It was also the stretch that would make or break my prospects of completing the ride. I hung on grimly, then made an unscheduled stop for an ice cream and a cold drink at Woodford. I figured that I had an hour on the people behind me at this stage, so a 10 minute delay to cope with the heat wasn't going to keep the organisers any busier than they would have been otherwise.

The view of the smoke from Mt Mee

The final act of this ride is the climb of Mt Mee. The difficult section is 2.8km at 10%, with 160km already in the legs. Today it was made even harder with smoke from bushfires at Maleny being blown across by the wind. Needless to say it was a real struggle, the picture above coming on an enforced stop to prevent vomiting. I made it to the top and grabbed a fruit salad, not thinking that I could keep anything else down, then mopped up the remaining 47km to the finish (including that long, sweeping 7km descent). In the last 15km I started to find form, and began to wonder where this form had been all day. I guess it's just a coincidence that the temperature started to drop a little at that section.

All in all, I was glad to be back into this ride again. Yes it's difficult on a day like this, but it's also very scenic, and the feeling of satisfaction on completing a ride in difficult conditions. I'll be back for this one again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home