Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Friday, September 08, 2006

Noise pollution

It has come to my attention that apparently we have a Noise Pollution Law in Queensland. In fact, I understand every Australian State has one. The way it works is that if a person is making excessive noise (such as playing music too loudly) they can be fined. I've not yet run foul of that law yet -- largely because I believe that playing music that loudly is likely to diminish the sound quality (at least on the cheap stereo equipment that I have).

However, what I'm wondering is just how all the Gold Coast hoons driving their hotted up heaps of crap get away with it. It's clearly unnecessary, because not every car on the road makes that much noise (even if it is more common on the GC than anywhere else). Consequently, it seems to me that these idiots driving around in their crap that can be heard for several kilometres on Friday or Saturday nights are guilty of noise pollution. I'm fairly certain that if I played Sarah Blasko or the Manic Street Preachers at that volume, I'd be fined. Yet these idiots seem to get away with it time and again. Can someone explain to me just why this double standard exists? There's a reason I chose not to live right next door to a race track.

In other news, tomorrow I'll be riding the Wonders of Glorious Mee for what might be the last time. As far as I'm aware, it's not likely to find it's way onto the Audax calendar next year, so unless it's an "unsupported" ride (which wouldn't bother me that much), it's likely to disappear. That is a shame because it's one of the few organised rides in Queensland with any noteworthy climbing. It will be missed.

Tomorrow is also state election day, and I would suggest to Ray Stevens, the Liberal* candidate for Robina that he teach his staff how to read (assuming he knows himself). The words "No Junk Mail" are not difficult -- only four letters at most. The entire phrase has only three syllables, yet whoever is responsible for their advertising failed to read them on my letterbox yesterday. I see the pamphlet shows his ugly face, complete with smug grin. Maybe I should pick up some pins on the way home from work this evening and see what I can do about that grin. :^)

* For anyone reading this outside Australia, "Liberal" candidate is a bit of a misnomer. The major conservative party in Australia actually call themselves the Liberal party. I'm not sure who they think they're fooling -- well, actually, if it's the Australian electorate we're talking about, they might actually be fooling someone.

2 Comments:

Blogger Woodog said...

One of the best memories of RAGBRAI (Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) was the route through the campus of Iowa State University, which had been closed to motorized traffic for the day. You only heard the whir of tires and the conversations of the riders intermingled with birdsong. The massive stone buildings provided a reverberance that was striking. That is what an urban commute sans auto would sound like.

These days I'm suffering from light pollution. There's a streetlight across the alley from my little house. The bulb had been shot out about six years ago. This was about the time my son got a BB gun for Xmas, but I'm sure there's no coincidence there. I just remembered being happy that I actually got darkness during the night.

The city recently decided to replace the bulb. Now all I get at night is this is a sickly amber light in the evenings. Meanwhile, my son seems uninterested in BB guns these days.

Doesn't that just suck?

4:53 am  
Blogger Chris L said...

I had some friends in Brisbane who tried putting aluminium foil over their windows in summer to prevent the sun from coming into their window and waking them up at 5am. That could work for you, too.

1:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home