Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Turning Tweed

Mists clearing Mt Warning

This update is a little late due to some serious virus-related computer problems that I had to overcome. Nevertheless, the ride on Sunday was much harder in the extreme heat. I started the day on little sleep as I'd been to an office christmas party the previous evening, but soon settled into a rhythm as I generally do on long rides. This time it came with the climb over Tomewin and descent into the Tweed Valley to escape the coastal heat. For a while here it was quite pleasant, but the emerging northerly wind warned of what was to come.

The Macpherson ranges from Tomewin

I reached the turn around point to the south of Kunghur and gave the new bike it's first taste of dirt with the climb into Mebbin National Park. This really is a beautiful stretch of road through the rainforest with the occasional mountain views to show the way. Much of this route is familiar, but I did reflect on the moment that I passed the rickety bridge which confirmed the official destruction of my other bike a few weeks back.

The Border ranges backing the Tweed Valley

After getting back onto the main road, I had yet another encounter with the infamous Uki bomber. Summer is now into it's third month, but that apparently doesn't seem to have bothered the three magpies in the last 10 days to have had a shot. As it was, I had bigger concerns, most notably a temperature that had now reached 37 degrees C. The time for marvelling at the scenery passed momentarily, now it was about survival. Fortunately, I managed to reach Uki in time to stave off the inevitable running out of water and proceed to the next step.

Tweed Valley wildflowers

Urliup is like an oasis on a hot day, a place that is often 7-10 degrees cooler than anywhere surrounding it, with lovely rainforests that compel you to take your time. So it proved here, and I recharged in the cooler air for the final assault over Bilambil. On days like this there is no shame in struggling on the Bilambil climb. The total lack of shade gives it a whole new brutality on hot days, and this caused me all sorts of problems on this occasion. I sat there and ground it out, before descending back to the coast for the final run. Things did improve on that final stretch, I found my rhythm and technique again, and finished the ride strongly.

In retrospect I was left wondering why I bother in this heat, the answer seems to be "because it's like this for six months of the year". Nevertheless, the ride was still a very pleasant way to spend a Sunday. So much so, that I'm already thinking ahead to the coming weekend. Bring it on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home