Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Monday, April 12, 2010

Novelty



33 hours have now elapsed since I got home from yesterday's rather interesting outing, and I am still trying to find a part of my body that doesn't actually hurt. Regular readers of this blog will be aware that I have climbed Springbrook mountain more times than I have taken hot showers over the last 15 years. Yesterday, however, Martin and I found a new and altogether more difficult and painful way to do it -- on a vertical single track that was totally unrideable for the entire length of the climb, which basically meant climbing the mountain on foot while finding a way to haul the bikes up the mountain.



The day had started so promisingly, too. The plan had been to scour the Numinbah State Forest at the bottom of the western slopes of the mountain, with a decent climb on the dirt of Chester's Road. We rode off over the rolling hills of Advancetown in a morning mist, along the various inlets of Advancetown Lake, which becomes Hinze Dam closer to Nerang. Along the way we found a new construction site for a boat ramp on to the lake. I have to admit to mixed feelings about it -- on the one hand, it's nice to open up a view like this, but on the other hand, I know what masses of people are likely to do to the area.



A little further on, I managed to get a flat tyre. This remarkable event (remarkable because it happened while I was riding with GEAX tyres) let to us meeting a group of bushwalkers who gave us some directions to Horseshoe Falls which weren't quite where I thought they should have been. Still, as I hadn't seen a map of the area, I saw no reason to argue with them. Initially we set off on a dirt track that crossed Waterfall Creek several times, this part was actually quite beautiful in and of itself.



It was after this that the mistakes started. Looking back, we may have been more than a little gullible. Just why you would follow a track leading away from waterfall creek when you're looking for a waterfall is anyone's guess, but we did, and it went dead straight up the hill at an unrideable gradient. Eventually we hauled the bikes to the top of this hill, and literally found a fork in the road. One side screamed back down into the valley (a descent I wasn't keen on as I my legs have another project to complete next weekend), and the other appeared to follow the ridge across toward Springbrook. By this stage we'd given up on Horseshoe falls for the day and decided to head for Springbrook instead. The only problem was the "No Entry" sign in front of the Springbrook fork.



What does a scofflaw cyclist do when confronted with a "No Entry" sign? You guessed it. This track also took a sharp descent straight into a creek bed, before climbing out vertically up the side of the mountain. Now we had to press on. I actually thought it would meet the road half way up the mountain on Pine Creek Road, intersecting a track I'd seen branching off when riding that road previously. This wasn't to be, and the track kept climbing steeply and interminably. A few times I pondered just staying there for the day, as it had to be more pleasant than either climbing out or the inevitable return to suburbia that would follow.

At the summit the inevitable happened, a "private property" sign. Fortunately, it was a very small sign, and I didn't see it. Even more fortunately, the owner of the land was a friendly guy, who even offered us some of his home grown plums, before telling us that Chester's Road had, in fact, been the right way to get to Horseshoe Falls, although apparently the track to it is severely overgrown (which won't stop me going and checking it out for myself later of course). There may possibly be another way to the falls, from a land owner at Springbrook near the Fudge Shop.

As it was, we decided to simply descent the mountain the conventional way, before crunching the last few rollers on the way home. Surprisingly, I found a second wind on the ride home for no readily rational reason. It was soon after we parted and I mopped up the last few hills through Robina that I realised I was hurting in places I didn't even know I had. Still, that's a positive thing as it shows that I had a productive weekend. There was a final insult in that I suffered yet another flat tyre (this time the opposite tyre) in the final 500 metres on the way home. I finished the day with two years' worth of GEAX flat tyres, simply incredible.

I am going to find these falls, however. It is now my obsession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home