Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Birds of a Lamington

An unusual start to the day today. I walked out to the garage to get my bike, and realised that I hadn't yet refilled the water bottles. Figuring I'd be no more than 30 seconds, I left the door open while I walked back inside for my water. On returning, I found that two birds had managed to fly inside the garage and weren't keen on coming out.



Eventually I removed them by throwing an old towel onto the door and standing back -- basically giving them no option but to fly out, at which point I closed the door very quickly and got on my way. I was later told they'd hung around outside for a while -- perhaps they were looking for a place to nest. Perhaps it's best if they found somewhere else.

Today's destination was Binna Burra -- Eastern gateway to Lamington National Park. I needed to do a decent walk before going to Wilson's Promontory. The previous visit was the Coomera Circuit back in the wet season (
http://life-cycle.blogspot.com/2004/09/flashback.html), today was the Dave's Creek track, better suited to the dry season, which is what we are now approaching the end of (I hope). Also known for wildflowers and spectacular views.















The rainforest areas are still there along the way. These provide the variety for a walk like this one.



Somehow it never quite dawned on me that this could possibly be the last time I ever do this walk. My long term plans basically don't involve living on the Gold Coast forever, and I don't often get up to this one these days, given the number of other walks in Lamington, and indeed the number of other places I spend weekends. This walk was actually very kind to me during the three year drought, which basically dimished the qualities of all the other walks up there.

Still, it's all in the future, maybe, somewhere deep down, I instinctively expect to have one more visit to Dave's Creek in the future. I was occupied with other things on the ride back in anycase.



Something else that was typified by all of this was the changing priorities of certain things in my own life in recent years. Tonight was the night of the National Rugby League Grand Final. A few years ago, there's no way I would have been gone for much of the day and miss the build up to "the big game". Even tonight I didn't bother to watch the presentation after the game. I guess the bike and the places I've been on it have taught me that there are far more important things in life. It's a lesson well learned.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris- Dave McLeod (Hervey Bay) bikeqld list- loved the photography in this. We walked circuit Binna Burra almost to OReilly's Easter 1992- Border Track and back via Elabana Falls etc- 3 days on track. Unreal. Seeing this makes me so much want to go back. What beggars me is how you ride up to the Lamington's in the first place- did I get that right?? Anyway been loving following your blog.
Dave

8:40 pm  
Blogger Chris L said...

Hi Dave,

Yep, I rode up there and back on the day. Very pleasant actually -- in fact, Binna Burra and Springbrook were instrumental in getting me into cycling in a big way to begin with.

9:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home