Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Monday, June 26, 2006

Computerless coasting



Some weekend this was turning into. First of all, my headlight problems still remain with me. It seems the problem wasn't with the generator as I had thought, but with the light itself. This means I'll probably be another $140 out of pocket to replace it, as I'll need to do because my other lights don't give me the burn time that I require. I spent most of Saturday trying to figure out if there were any other options, but with three weeks before the big ride, I don't think there are any.

So it was on Sunday that I finally got on the bike for a decent ride. My plan to ride back-to-back centuries may have been in tatters, but I could still put on a few kilometres that day. 1.8km in the next problem struck -- my cycle-computer died. I had a look at it to see if anything could be done, but it appears the front wire is seriously frayed. Fortunately, it's the same brand (Cat-Eye) as the computers on my other bikes, so I might be able to "mix and match" when I get some free time.

It left me computerless for this ride, however. I decided to just go and do the ride anyway, figuring that I knew what the approximate distance would be, having ridden the route before. I started off down the Tweed Coast, and found myself enjoying the freedom of having no idea how many kilometres I was riding, or no idea of my speed. I guess I've obsessed a little too much over keeping track of every kilometre in recent years, so it was nice to break free of that. It was here I pretty much made up my mind to stop "logging" rides for good. When I do replace this computer, I'll just use it for checking daily distances and so forth, but I won't be keeping any stats on it. That's just too much time and effort now.





I darted inland toward Mullumbimby, then over the climb toward the Crystal Castle. This climb has some tough sections, but the way the views open up in the ridge make it worth the effort. The hills seem to be perpetually green here, and the sweeping coastal views are amazing. There might be more coastal views on the way in the future. I came upon the idea of riding to Ballina at some point in the future. The coastal views between Byron Bay and Ballina are supposed to be breathtaking.







The return is by a similar route for a while, but detours over the hills through Burringbar, Murwillumbah and Urliup to come home. This too is a beautiful ride, especially the forests of Urliup. For some reason, however, I seem to be struggling for form on the final climb of Bilambil over recent months. I can't put my finger on it, but that hill always seems to be a nemesis. Yesterday's performance was a little more convincing, but still not quite what I wanted. It's possible I'm just being unrealistic, given that I probably finished yesterday with around 220km or so. Either way, it was an extremely rewarding ride, and a wonderful feeling of breaking free of a few things. Perhaps I'll do it that way all the time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am guilty.... i snatched the pic of the lake of clouds.. it is so lovely! what tree is that behind your bike, looks familiar, like a hibiscus here?
stunning pics, great dialogue.. you have to start your book soon, chris:)

1:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home