Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Flooding rain

Flooding in Numinbah Valley

It's traditional at this time of year to write about the top 15 rides from the previous year. Yesterday I had an early contender for 2008. I hadn't realised how heavy the rain had been when I pushed aside the big southerly wind on the coastal strip early in the day. Evidently it hadn't reached this far. I realised the extent of the rain when I rode through Urliup, with three crossings of the creek flooded.

Flooding at Urliup

Urliup

Further south I continued in the rain, around a wet loop through Stokers Siding, Uki and some back roads behind Murwillumbah before coming to a decision. I would return via the 'back' route, and the climbs of Numinbah Gap and Salmon's Saddle at Springbrook. This was where the ride really started, the climb of Numinbah Gap hesitates for a while, before settling into a 12-13% slog as it gains around 400 metres. Fortunately the rain decided to get particularly heavy here, which kept me cool for the duration.

Roadside waterfall at Numinbah Gap

Numinbah Gap

From here the ride and the scenery were absolutely stunning. As I descended through the valley there were clouds nestled in the surrounding mountains, and "new" waterfalls cascading down the slopes, and it dawned on me that I was witnessing something very special. It was almost reminiscent of the crossing of Haast Pass in similar conditions in New Zealand almost two years ago -- the day that I rate as my greatest ever on the bike. Here it also dawned on me that virtually nobody else had been around all day to spoil the experience. Part of me hopes they never realise what they missed.

Lamington National Park from Numinbah Valley

This isn't going to stop

The rain continued as I approached the notorious western climb of Springbrook. Virtually nobody even attempts this climb, and I was soon to find out why. The first few kilometres are bearable, with an average grade of around 8%, but there is a final kick near the summit, where the gradient hits 24% at one stage, and probably averages 15-18%. In less technical terms, it's just a bloody hard grind. Fortunately, the surroundings in this area compensated for the effort, and the rain continued to make things easier.

Another roadside watefall, this time at Springbrook

The gale for wind returned at Springbrook, and it became apparent that the final few kilometres after descending the mountain would be hard work. The descent itself was an exercise in concentration as the wind had covered the road in a layer of debris. My familiarity with this road gave me an advantage here, and I negotiated it comfortably, before grinding my way home against the wind. The final tally for the day was 169km and 1,901 metres of climbing for those who care about the minor details.

This had been one of the most rewarding and special rides I could have asked for. Many people seek shelter from the elements, yet there is a special beauty in the rain, in a tropical downpour that is both invigorating and calming at the same time. It just requires the courage to put one's self out into the elements, and expose themselves a little. On days like this, the rewards far outweigh the risks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home