Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Thursday, April 10, 2008

April animation

Mt Mee

It's probably about time I wrote this thing up. It was my first 300k for the year. In fact, I only had two rides over 200km this year, and the most recent of those came in February. However, I did have a couple of tours, and last weekend's "boot camp" rides through the mountains. I had enough condition. The rain that had been promised seemed to stay away on the day itself, with a southerly wind to keep temperatures down. That southerly would cause problems later.

Dayboro

Alan and I were the only two riders who actually made the start on time. There were more riders coming later (as it turned out, they wouldn't be far behind by the first checkpoint), so we set off, negotiating our way out of the northern suburbs of Brisbane, and eventually making our way toward the greenery of Dayboro, over the rolling hills.

Mt Mee

The climb of Mt Mee stood out as the next objective. Personally I enjoy this climb from the southern side. The gradient is very manageable, the scenery opens up new vistas around every corner, and early in the morning, the temperature is invariably pleasant. Alan had left the checkpoint a little earlier than I had, but I caught him on the climb, and we rode across the plateau and into Woodford and Kilcoy together. On the descent I got held up by a car, and didn't know the road well enough to risk overtaking them between corners. As it was they moved over and let me pass through, a rare piece of politeness on Queensland roads.



The Neurum road between Woodford and Kilcoy is one of the most underrated places to ride in Southern Queensland. Today it would have to be covered twice, as the ride heads out to Kilcoy and back. The ride back gave me plenty of time to look at the scenery, I was really struggling here, barely able to maintain 24km/h. In retrospect, nobody passed me, so I must have been doing better than I thought. However as far as I was concerned, I died on that section and would have to ride the remaining 160km or so from beyond the grave. A flat tyre at Kilcoy didn't help things.

The climb of the Peachester Range is almost as pretty as that of Mt Mee. It was also the last noteworthy climb of the day. It enabled me to recover from the earlier exertions and move forward. I started to feel better on that climb, the steeper sections weren't overly taxing, and there were enough false flats to recover from them regardless. I reached the summit and the "secret control" feeling much better.

Peachester range

It's a long, gradual descent of the Peachester Range from the eastern side. I'd dropped of the back of the group as I'd stopped to adjust my brakes. We were all "reunited" shortly after Beerwah, and rode on to the checkpoint at the edge of the Sunshine Coast 31km down the road. We probably lingered here longer than we should have done, but riding off with a group of five for the last 120km or so was going to be easier than doing it solo against that southerly wind. We set off and headed down through the Glasshouse Mountains in rapidly fading light. It was too dark for the normally obligatory photo from this section, so we pressed on.

Further south, we returned to Suburbia at Caboolture, after negotiating some patches of roadwork that seemed to upset everyone else more than it upset me. After the riding I'd had over the last couple of weekends, it was all pretty familiar to me. I seemed to be spending a lot more time on the front than I should have, but by this stage I was feeling pretty good, and didn't have any problems. To me, virtually all suburbs seem to blend in together, broken only by a checkpoint at Morayfield.

We detoured out through Redcliffe, Shorncliffe and Sandgate (not necessarily in that order). It was a waterfront ride that might have been pleasant in the daylight. It wasn't too bad in the evening, but it offered no protection against that southerly wind. There seemed to be a lot of yobbos around, more than last year. I was wearing a red jersey (which seems to set off Queenslanders but nobody else), but it was covered by a jacket that I'd put on earlier to deal with a rain shower. As it was, we negotiated the yobbos, the headwind and everything else to make our way back to Banyo much later than I'd anticipated, but at least the second part of the super series was completed, and no, it's not my slowest 300k.

Overall I had reason to be satisfied with the ride. It did take longer than I'd planned, but under the circumstances that prevailed, it was a decent effort. About the only thing I would do differently next year is have a few more rides exceeding 200km. My longest ride to date this year has been 208km, and I struggled on the finish of that one. I really should have found time to do a 250+km "repentence" ride in the Byron hinterland, but that's just a lesson to learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home