Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

That's two

I have had better weeks, and it's not over yet (these things are supposed to happen in threes, right?). It was an astonishing twist of fate that prior to my crash on Sunday, I was already booked into see a doctor this evening. There were no unexpected complications from the crash itself, but the reason for the visit was related to a longer term problem -- that someone with my pathetically weak skin happens to live in the skin cancer capital of the world.

To cut to the chase, at 9am on Friday morning I am having a melanoma (i.e. a skin cancer) cut out of my skin. Being a cyclist, of course, my first through was "oh no, there goes another weekend of riding" . The next thought was "this is probably going to hurt a little bit". Basically I'm going to be left with a scar to add to my burgeoning collection, and a couple of stitches probably for a week and a bit. I've only ever had one stitch put into my skin before, and I rate it considerably more painful than having a tooth pulled.

What's astonishing about the whole situation is this. The mole is on my back a little below my left shoulder. I never leave my apartment without a shirt on. I'll be making sure to ask my doctor about that on Friday, but if anyone else can shed some light on that in the mean time, I'd be very interested in finding out more. It may mean I have to be a little more selective in which fabrics I wear in future. It might also mean even more night riding -- when am I supposed to sleep?

I wrote in my journal over at bikejournal.com after Monday night's ride that I don't stay down for long. At 9am on Saturday morning, I meet up with an on line friend from Harvey Bay who is something of a celebrity over at crazyguyonabike.com. Basically if OLN or anyone else plans to make a documentary about cycle touring in South East Queensland, it would be in their interests to email me for more details. That should provide some inspiration.

Sunday Night I'm supposed to be taking a full moon night ride over the Beechmont Range to take in some stunning moonlit views, and I'm not ruling myself out of that yet. Somewhere in all this I'm also supposed to be training for a 400k randonee in Toowoomba on March 17. I'm going to stop now before I start writing stupid cliche's about life being a "roller coaster", but if fate wants to slap me a third time, and I'm warning it, it better be prepared to have it's backside well and truly kicked.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slap that bitch.

8:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris usually they can't be sure a lesion is a melanoma until it's removed and pathology performed. I had a suspecious neavus (mole) removed from my back also recently that turned out to be benign. The worst part was the injection of local anaesthetic which stings a little however after that it's all numb and you don't feel much. I had about 8 stitches and they didn't bother me although I didn't do much to stretch them for a couple of weeks. I'm a big wuss and it was all fine. I however got a surgeon to do it not my GP. Make sure they do pathology on what they cut out. There is lots of UV during the day especially in Queensland and I while I'm not certain I suspect that a lot of it can penetrate a cycling jersey. I stay out of the sun between 9 and 3 but it's a bit hard if doing long distance cycling. Good luck with everything.

8:55 am  
Blogger Chris L said...

Hi Michael,

My procedure was similar to yours, and I have to go back on Monday to find out the final results.

To be totally honest I found the UV in Tasmania to be considerably worse than Queensland. However, where Queensland is a problem is that the constant heat and humidity creates a lot of sweat, which makes it hard to keep sunscreen on. Oh yeah, Queensland will burn you on a rainy day in winter, too. That said, my back rarely (if ever) even tans, never mind burning, so I'm not entirely sure about this one.

Today I was told that most of the damage that leads to skin cancer is actually done during childhood, and the skin cancer awareness levels at Werris Creek in the early '80s weren't what they are today. I'd say that's the most likely cause at this stage.

9:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home