Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Monday, August 27, 2007

I think this is called a rant

It's now time for a non-cycling post (yes, I do write those occasionally), there is something I'd like to get off my chest. Note to about 90% of the female population of the Gold Coast: If a single man says "hello" to you, it is not a request to sleep with you, it is simply polite conversation -- nothing more. The fact that some sleazy "businessman" with more money than brains conned you with a cheap pick-up line at some nightclub last weekend does not make you "special" or "entitled" in anyway. Get over it. If I was half as desperate to sleep with someone as some seem to think I am, I'd just go and pay a professional to do the deed.

Just for the record, yes, I am single, and probably staying that way as I decided to remove myself from "the market" around three years ago (there may be a 2004 post in this blog referring to it). In short, I did that because trying to find anyone worth meeting in this part of the world is like trying to the proverbial needle in the haystack. Some time ago, the Spanish Redneck referred to a story of a lot of 30-something men in Australia heading overseas to try to find someone, and leaving a supposed "man drought" here. I have to say that there's a fair chance I'll join them.

It seems to be attractive to the average female on the Gold Coast, you either need to be wealthy enough to buy and sell Rupert Murdoch with your small change, or be one of the so-called "bad boys" who divides their time between treating their girlfriend like dirt, sleeping with 6-10 other women on the side, getting drunk, hooning, brawling and making lewd public comments at high volume about a threesome with his girlfriend's sister/best friend. You think I'm joking? Prove me wrong! I see this every day.

Oh, let's not forget the exceptions, the ones who think that their sole purpose in life is to squirt out as many kids as possible into an already overpopulated world which can't cope with the number of inhabitants it already has. They're the ones who have realised that when it comes to actually taking responsibility for something, the "bad boy" doesn't cut it -- or at least some of them have realised this. Judging by the standard of parenting I see everyday, I'm sure there are many yet to see this particular bit of light, and those that have are still chasing James Packer.

So I guess the next question is why don't I just play the game, buy a stack of things I don't need/can't afford to impress someone, and start treating everyone I meet like dirt? The reason is because there are more important things in the world than simply getting my end wet as many times as possible. There are things like principles and integrity, honesty and so on. There is also the small matter of the fact that any woman with any intelligence at all would see through the whole act anyway.

Then there is the whole question of what exactly I'd be 'competing for' in the first place. It seems to me that most women in this part of the world are determined to be as much of a yobbo as the guy they're apparently attracted to (note the same drinking/hooning behaviour mentioned above). Either that, or they're so desperate to impress everyone they meet that they just fall into a pattern of saying what they think everyone wants to hear, and acting in whatever manner is "cool" at the time like some kind of robot. Of course, this sort of behaviour isn't specifically limited to women on the Gold Coast, but as I have no intention of getting into a homosexual relationship regardless, I tend not to pay attention to those things.

Some of you may interpret this to mean that I can't score, but I can. I can score anytime I like, because as I mentioned before, there are professionals who cater to that particular need. If I really thought meaningless sex was something to cherish, I'd simply go and see one of them and pay the fee. After all, there's no misinterpreting one's intentions in that situation, nobody to leave messages on my phone after the event, nobody hitting me up to buy them gifts every week, and they'd probably do a better job.

Consequently, I've effectively taken myself off the market, and decided to focus my energies on other aspects of life that are more likely to be rewarding. Sure it would be nice to meet someone compatible, someone who's reasonably intelligent, active, clean living, health conscious, independently minded, someone who can express an opinion without being pig-headed. I don't think I'm asking for anything I wouldn't be prepared contribute myself, but I'm not about to hold my breath or put my life on hold. I'm reminded of the story of the prince who asked a beautiful princess to marry him; she said no, and he lived happily ever after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home