Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Landslide!



What a day this turned into. I actually got up this morning with a plan to ride south into the hills behind Mullumbimby. An early flat tyre and a memory lapse that resulted in me leaving my repair kit at home (but fortunately, remembering one spare tube, that I changed WITHOUT tyre levers) put paid to that. I then decided to just go to Springbrook for the morning instead. It would be a late start, but I could handle that.





It's fair to say that it wasn't one of my better efforts on that climb, largely because of the muggy, humid conditions that tend to happen after the best part of a week of continual rain. As it was, I hung on and worked my way steadily to the summit of the mountain, where Best of All Lookout was, again, a complete white-out. I'm beginning to forget what the views from that place are like. After this, I headed back to the Eastern side of the escarpment, and the waterfalls. One of the things I love about the wet season is it's ability to take things that are already beautiful, and add some real magic to them.

Rainbow falls

Purlingbrook falls

I first came to Springbrook in 1995, and have been coming here regularly for 12 years or so now. Yet the amazing thing about this place is it's ability to constanly produce things I haven't seen before. I have seen wildflowers here before, but nothing like what appeared in this little grove near Canyon Lookout on the eastern side of the plateau. They'll probably be gone by the time I return, and may never be seen again, but I was fortunate enough to see them today.





After a quick snack at the fudge shop, I decided to return to the coast, but there was one small problem. Now the road was closed, the result of a landslide further down the mountain, that's funny, I rode through earlier and it hadn't rained since. As it was, I returned to the coast the back way via Numinbah Valley and Advancetown, with a punishing but strangely enjoyable series of rollers adding probably 600-700 metres to the day's climbing total. I really need to ride this route more often, but I seem to say that quite often.

Upon returning home I consulted the Internet and discovered this story. I rode through that area 15 minutes or so before 10 tonnes of rock slid down the mountain and took out whatever was in it's path. The interesting thing here is that springbrook road had also been closed earlier in the morning due to flooding in the valley near Austinville, yet today was the first time it hadn't rained in a week.

Like I said, it had been a crazy day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well from this perspective it was worth dodging a landslide to publish those beautiful pics. It's always a joy to visit your blog.

12:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home