Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Back in business



Sunday's ride was memorable for several reasons. The flood conditions, the stunning scenery, the downpour that cooled me as I was riding over the last climb of the day, the fact that it was the first 200km day I've managed since October (a statistic I wasn't proud of), but most of all, it was just good to be back on the bike riding long distances again. I've missed it, the physical challenge, the psychological battle of both planning the ride and staying motivated to complete it, and the treat to the senses that comes from the changes in scenery over the course of 207km.



I stared by heading south along the now customary route via Urliup to Murwillumbah. That dirt road is one of the great survivors at a time when every other road in the vicinity has been sealed, yet it was almost washed away by the previous day's downpour, although the flood waters had receded considerably since the rain ceased -- this time the road was only submerged in two places. South of Murwillumbah I headed over the relentless hills toward Burringbar, where the wisdom of my route choice became apparent.



I was headed for Mullumbimby to ride a loop of the Coolomon Scenic Drive, terrain I hadn't covered in almost nine months. I passed more floodwaters along the way, before the long climb out of Mullum, which was greeted with sweeping views over Cape Byron and surrounds. There was a sadder aspect of the ride. True Wheel Cycles, the iconic little bike shop in Mullumbimby appears to have closed it's doors and cleared it's shelves. It was here that last year I found a touring bike that I wanted to buy, it was also here that I obtained some valuable information about rides in the Byron Hinterland. I'd like to think they've merely relocated, but I'm not sure.





I really started to hit the wall at the top of the Coolomon ridge, probably a result of going too fast early in the ride. Either way, I had to seriously ease back the pace for the return to Mullumbimby and the ride home, including the climb over Mt Jerusalem National Park on dirt roads. I actually started to recover a little, but the main obstacle here was the fact that the road between Mullumbimby and Uki was flooded in EIGHT places.



I negotiated the flooding, and continued on my way. Actually, the climb into the National Park once I hit the dirt wasn't terribly cut up. However, the ride across the ridge and the descent on the other side more than made up for that. I was actually here a couple of weeks ago for a weekend "tour" in the rain, but this downpour appears to have absolutely overpowered what happened that weekend. On the other hand, the fact that the sun was actually shining on this day gave it a much different perspective.





After Uki it was a simple 55km ride home -- simple if I could negotiate the final climb of Tomewin. It was actually made slightly more complicated in another respect. The wind, which had been from the South all day, decided to blow from the North for the next 20km, meaning I would be against it for the balance of the ride home. This could have been a problem, but on this occasion, it had a reason. Just as I started to climb the 11% section of Tomewin, the heavens opened up and provided a stunning downpour. All of a sudden my concerns about the heat were washed away as clouds and rainbows came out to play.



One particular rainbow came out on the mountain and stayed with me all the way back to the suburb of Palm Beach in the urban area. By the time I was back in suburbia, the wind was blowing from the South again, so I managed to mop up the last few kilometres relatively quickly. This had been a long day by the time I got home, but it was worth it. After the last couple of weeks, it was a fitting day to return to form, and the downpour at the end capped off a remarkable day. The hardest part now is going to be trying to pick from the many places I have to ride.

2 Comments:

Blogger IronGambit said...

The first pic reminds me of IZ from Hawaii :)

5:58 am  
Blogger Rockhound76 said...

Chris,
I love your posts and your photography. They really want me to come visit and to bring my bike.

Ricky
aka Rockhound76
Conroe, Texas

1:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home