Links

Audax Australia
This is the umbrella organisation running long distance cycling events in Australia Their website includes a calendar of events.

Bikejournal
A place where cyclist can keep track of their mileage and any number of other statistics, as well as an attached forum.

Bikeforums
A set of discussion forums covering almost every conceivable cycling related topic.

Cycling Adventurer
The Cycling Adventurer has tossed in the structured life of an urbanite to explore the world by bicycle. A well-written site detailing how he came to cycling, and what he learned along the way.

Crazy Guy on a Bike

Bicycle touring journals from all over the world, including a couple of my own.

Johns Cycles

This is my LBS on the Gold Coast. While they cater more to the racing market, their service, advice and workmanship is the best on the coast.

St Kilda Cycles

Importers of all manner of things hard to find in Australia, including the legendary Schmidt hub dynamo & E6 lights.

Blogs

Bicycle-eye
Wonderings and wanderings out and about in Portland, Oregon, US

The Journey
The journey begins in Perth, Western Australia.

Lance Notstrong
The "other" Lance!

Ms Mittens
The Wired Cat on-line

Iron Gambit
.

Aussie Writer and Cycletourist
A blog chronicling the writing and cycling of a seaside baby boomer.

Up in Alaska
Jill's subarctic journal about ice, bears and distant dreams of the midnight sun.

The Kin Chronicles
Taking mediocrity to a new level of ordinary.

Allez
Riding and running with a vengeance.

London Cycling Diary
Pedalling across the capital since August 2005.

CouchPilot-2-BikePilot (Zin's cycling blog)
Living an adventurous life with Type-2-Diabetes.

The adventures of Crazy Biker Chick
... Including cycling, adventuring, cooking, knitting and ranting.

Redneck Espanol
The two wheeled Spanish redneck.

Treadly and me
"Work is something I do between riding my bicycle".

Crowlie
Womanist philosophy and theology. Cycling, climbing, art, single-motherhood and fire-twirling.

Adrian Fitch's random rambling.
A bit about cycling, a bit about genealogy, a bit about radio but mostly a lot about nothing at all.

Geo's big adventure
The life and times of Geo.

It's about the bike
Musings on the cycling life.

Spinopsys
Various cycling tidbits.

Industry Outsider
A blog about bikes and stuff.

Tweed Coast Treadly
An old man's bicycle riding diary.

A cyclist's life in Tenerife
(Canary Islands).

Bike to work to live to bike
It's never too late to get back on the bike

Stupid Hurts
Just the random scribblings of a guy with a bicycle

I'm not drunk enough for this
Really, I'm not.

BikeHacks
What can I say? Just read it.

Mozam's cycling adventures
A random collection of the things I like to do most, and mostly that is to ride my bikes, bicycles that is... My musings from competitive riding, long distance endurance to puttering around the neighborhood..

More cycling blogs

Blog Directory - Blogged

Powered by Blogger

This site is certified 76% GOOD by the Gematriculator This site is certified 24% EVIL by the Gematriculator

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Ups and downs



Last weekend I promised to head for the mountains, and on Saturday I did just that, with three passes in the space of 120km. I had been planning to go further, but this wasn't one of my better days. For one thing, it was an extremely warm, humid and muggy day (reaching 32 degrees C at one point). For another, I was in the early stages of a nasty illness that would lay me low for most of the week.



Initially I climbed over the Springbrook range at the 530 metre pass at Salmon's Saddle, before the screaming descent into Numinbah Valley. I had already set the tone while climbing Springbrook, a day where I could ride steadily, but forget about any attacks. There was plenty of time to take in the scenery -- at least where it wasn't obscured by the haze that accompanies these humid summer days. Consequently, I didn't attempt any speed records on the screaming descent on the western side, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway.



The valley below is quite beautiful, and usually very green. I took my time here as the southerly wind started to build, and simply took in the surroundings which could have been from 100 years ago. Fortunately, the mcmansions of the coast haven't reached this far inland yet. I pedalled on, taking in the changing landscapes of the long gradual climb as this really is a ride to be savoured. After this it was a matter of another rapid descent into the Tweed Valley, before largely flat roads skirting around Murwillumbah, and one final climb.



The final climb of Tomewin is fast becoming the "traditional" way to end the southern rides. This has largely happened because it had been about six months since I'd finished any of them with a tailwind. On this day that would change, but I wanted to do the climb anyway. I hammered the climb, doing a full three minutes faster than my previous crack at it. I actually think I can do better still, but that might have to wait until temperatures cool a little. Unfortunately, the mountain views at the top were totally obscured by the haze, but the rainforest was nice.

The ride home was alarmingly lethargic, and I was content to let the wind do all of the work. It was only three days later that the reason for this would emerge. I have been laid low with a case of giardia all week. It's quite debilitating, not actually fatal, but enough to make anyone suffering from it wish they were dead. I picked it up after drinking from a creek in Mt Barney National Park (a trip I haven't blogged about yet, but will do so at some point, probably on my return from New Zealand). It wasn't the way I wanted to lead in to a three week tour, but there's not much I can do about it now. Most of it seems to have left my system as I type this, but the big concern is that I'll start this trip with a fitness level of close to absolute zero. I Guess I'll just need to make sure I gorge on pasta before leaving Auckland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home